Among the English tests provided in colleges, universities, and agencies, TOEFL is the most respected one.
Test of English as a Foreign Language began being administered in the 1960s to determine the English proficiency of individuals who are not natives in the English language and they wish to study in institutions where English is the basic language used in instruction.
A national council on TOEFL entered into a cooperative attachment and was formed after more than 30 private and public institutions became concerned about the English proficiency of non-native speakers attending them. Understanding the basic instructional language, particularly in a leaning institution is essential since all of the teaching and testing takes place in the English language.
Overview of the TOEFL test
The TOEFL test, which is administered via the online platform, is a significant determinant for one to begin studying an English speaking country. A non-native English speakerâ€™s ability to use and comprehend English at the university level is determined through administration of the TOEFL test. The lowest English skill level is intermediate while the highest is advanced.
The test is available for individuals who may have qualified for scholarships and certificate to English speaking countries. Furthermore, students and workers applying for visas are required to sit for this exam. The English learners can also evaluate their progress using this TOEFL test. Colleges and institutions in over 130 countries accept the Test of English as a Foreign Language scores. The scores can also be used to meet the visa requirements in the United Kingdom and Australia as well. There are over 50 test dates per year at the TOEFL authorized centers in the world thus allows individuals to retake the tests 12 days after they sit for the same test.
There is no pass or fail on the TOEFL test. However, different schools prefer varying scores. For instance, one school may require a minimum score of 80 while another 100. The best thing is to determine the score that your intended school requires and then work to surpass the score. As usual, the higher your score is better.
3 core tips for passing the TOEFL test
1.For a person to get a good score they need to familiarize themselves with every basic feature of the TOEFL test and the scoring system the examiners use. Before taking the test, it is essential that one understands the sections on the TOEFL tests, how they are organized and the time that is allocated to each of the sections.
2.One also sets a goal score to ensure that they have a high probability of qualifying for the visa or getting admitted into the schools they are applying for.
3.An individual should also set a study time of three to six months to master the various concepts.
Training courses for the TOEFL test
The TOEFL test preparation is a free online course that is readily available online. Udemy also provides an online preparation course that involves learning about tactics and strategies on reading, writing, listening and also speaking. Udemy offers more than 200 lectures for the TOEFL course in addition to the instructor-led examples that assist students in mastering each question. As you complete the TOEFL course from this platform, comprehend the various methods used in assessing a person’s proficiency in the language.
Top resources for the TOEFL test
The test questions are essential for a candidate for the TOEFL exam. They are a collection of questions from previous tests so that the test taker can become familiar with the type of questions tested and what is contained in the test. The TOEFL Test Prep Planner provides an 8-week schedule to the test taker. It provides basic information on the TOEFL tests and scoring. The learners also practice on skill building activities besides being provided with tips for success on the examination day.
The TOEFL iBT quick prep also contains actual TOEFL iBT questions. They come in volumes with each quick prep volume containing questions from all the four sections of the test. Transcriptions of audio portions of the test are contained in volume 1 and 2. The third and fourth volumes contain the audio form of the tests in mp3 form and the transcriptions in PDF.
Best websites for the TOEFL test
- https://www.ets.org/toefl/ is one of the great websites for the teachers, test takers, advisors, and students. The site provides detailed information about the test, how to register for it, the dates when the exams will be administered, available centers where students can sit for the TOEFL exams, and how to prepare for the test. The individuals who are disabled or those who have health-related problems are also provided with the necessary instructions as they take the exam.
- PrepAway TOEFL Practice Test Sample Questions provides detailed information on the course benefits, course structure, course requirements and the audience that they invite at their website. Learning at Udemy is through videos, audios, and printed notes.
Books for the TOEFL test
- The TOEFL Practice PDF contains questions for each part of the exam that covers reading, listening, speaking, and writing. The book also contains a detailed explanation for each of the questions and sample responses of writing and speaking.
- The 4th edition of â€œETS Official Guide to the TOEFL Testâ€ is a textbook produced by an organization that provided the test to students. This book is regularly republished to ensure that itâ€™s the most up to date information on TOEFL is read by students. The students who use this guide will obtain the most useful and relevant information about the English language.
- The 2016-2017 version of â€œCracking the TOEFL iBTâ€contains the latest listening and speaking exercises. Test-taking strategies from this book are also some of the best.
Learning a new language takes time due to the numerous vocabularies a language has. It may be difficult therefore to pass the exam for the first time and it might consider the option of retaking it.