Here’s how to get split Linux terminal screen in Linux Mint / Ubuntu as geeks do in the movies:
1. Issue the following command at the terminal -
sudo apt-get install terminator
2. After the installation is complete, click on ‘Applications>Accessories>Terminator’ to start the application.
3. Now, right click in the Terminator window and select ‘Split Horizontally’.
4. Now, right click into each window and select ‘Split Vertically’.
5. Now maximize the Terminator window. The end result should look like this -
You can utilize the four split windows as four independent terminals. A really cool and efficient way to multitask at the Linux terminal.