1. Go to http://www.softpedia.com and download the ‘MD5 Checker’ utility.
2. Extract the contents of downloaded ‘MD5.zip’ to a folder on your system.
3. Now launch the ‘MD5.exe’ program from the folder.
4. Copy the original MD5 sum from the site which provided the file. In our case, we wanted to verify the MD5 sum of a downloaded file, ‘ubuntu-10.10-desktop-i386.iso’. Hence, we copied the corresponding MD5 for the file from the site which provided the ISO image.
5. After the MD5 sum has been copied, click ‘Paste’ to paste the MD5 sum in the program. Then, click ‘Browse’.
6. Browse to the file for which you want to verify the MD5 sum, select it, and then click ‘Open’.
7. MD5 sum verification will start. This will calculate the MD5 sum for the selected file and then compare it with the original MD5 sum.
8. After the MD5 verification is complete, the program will display the result. If the MD5 sums match, the downloaded file is good, if not, the downloaded file is damaged/corrupt and needs to be downloaded again.